Sunday, February 6, 2011

Media Analysis

A Major News story...

I a Canadian of strong, blue collar stock so naturally I am excited about Tim Hortons being exported around the globe. The Middle East is an up-and-coming region economically, the millions of people there who are already swimming in cash notwithstanding. I think the reason this story is being featured prominantly in the media is easy to understand. In the past few years Tim Hortons had been criticized for the fact that it had no plan to deal with the fact that is was nearing market saturation in Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if these stores are opened with much fanfare in the Canadian Media.

A not so major news story...

Poverty in PEI costs over $240, 000,000. I find it interesting that this article basically makes the case that a "comprehensive" program of poverty elimination needs to be undertaken but the only specific action it mentions is more government spending. I think the best reason this story is under-reported is simply this: the solution is so banal and oft-repeated that no one would listen.

No comments: